Bad things in veg box

I didn’t log-in to Abel&Cole early enough this week to tell them I didn’t want what was going in my veg box.

So, we have MORE CARROTS. Carrots come every week. We haven’t yet eaten them all in any given week. I am mostly grating them and eating them raw, either as plain grated carrot, or as coleslaw, or as a carrot salad with cheese, pine nuts and raisins. Coleslaw is dead easy to make by hand for just two – just pushing blocks of cabbage and carrot through a hand grater and adding commercial mayo. It would be more of a pain to make in larger numbers. Have a vague idea to try it with fennel instead of cabbage next time I have that in the box. An unfortunate side effect, however, is that the kitchen is a little bit spattered with renegade carrot shards.

We have BROAD BEANS which I don’t like at all.

And we have THE WRONG KIND OF MANGO. Not the lovely juicy bright orange ones that fall off the stone and are only available at certain times of year, but the rock hard green and red ones such as you see at a supermarket. The sort that never seems to ripen, and I have no idea what to do with. I don’t think you can even make hedgehogs with them!

This entry was posted in Food.

8 comments on “Bad things in veg box

1. Leigh says:

Mango sorbet or shove them in smoothies!

2. niles says:

Mmmm – carrot and broad-bean smoothie…

In another place, Manda says this:

Make mango pickle, send the broad beans to me and use the carrots up in soup.

And then she writes up… Carrot Korma on her foodblog.

Might see if I have time to cook that tonight. Will need to buy some of the spices, however.

3. Shirley says:

Try buying French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David – very cheap from Amazon on the Derbyshire Dales website http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-1260033-2401413?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=French+Provincial+cooking+Elizabeth+David+&Go.x=12&Go.y=11

Shirley

4. niles says:

Sorry, Shirley, but I already have that!

5. Victoria M says:

carrot cake was always my choice for over-carroted veg boxes.

or cooking them in the oven, with a little butter and white wine for 45 mins.

6. niles says:

Good grief, what am I thinking!? Carrot cake never occurred to me.

7. Moody Foody says:

I simply had to post a comment when I read your complaint about the carrots, I felt exactly the same! Week after week I would forget to visit the website to remove the orange offenders from my list only to open the box each week and kick myself. What is up with that? So many carrots!!! I hope you made a lovely carrot cake in the end. maybe it was people like me canceling our carrots that made people like you get more of them….

8. […] Astoundingly, it’s around six years since we last had a regular veg box, and that was not a universally positive experience. […]