Go to Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org/). Type in your birth date (but not year). List three events that happened on your birthday. List two important birthdays and one interesting death. Post this in your journal.
Birthday: August 3rd
- 1914 – First World War: Germany declares war against France.
- 1923 – Calvin Coolidge is inaugurated as the 30th President of the United States. (August is a weird time for presidential inaugurations. Coolidge was Warren Harding’s VP and succeeded when Harding became the 6th President to die in office)
- 1990 – The highest temperature recorded in the UK until 10 August 2003 – 37.1°C at Cheltenham in Gloucestershire.
I’m not going to count Terry Wogan because I already knew about him. And I want to give three not two:
- 1867 – Stanley Baldwin, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1947)
- 1887 – Rupert Brooke, English poet (d. 1915)
- 1940 – Martin Sheen, American actor
And three deaths, too.
- 1181 – Pope Alexander III (c. 1105)
- 1460 – King James II of Scotland (b. 1430)
- 2004 – Henri Cartier-Bresson, French photographer (b. 1908)