What's this song?

Here’s one for all you trendy young things: a ten second snippet of Dead Like Me Series 1 Episode 14 with a song that I keep hearing and cannot identify. I’ve played it loads of people, I’ve described the track, and people have come up with other songs with similar words, but not this one.

It’s all the things I like in a song! Slow, sad, good backing vocals, eminently hummable.

So what is it?!

A-boom boom bah!

EDIT: Thanks to Will who has correctly identified it as Boom boom ba by Métisse. Will, I’m impressed your hearing is good enough to pick out the lyrics from behind the dialogue. Nothing I could actually hear was likely to be unique to a particular song.

Rob: The Shazam link looks fascinating, I’m tempted to use the thing just for the pure technology even though I now know what the song is.

And a final point — this song appears on the sound track for the movie, The Next Best Thing, the Madonna slash Rupert Everett gay slash straight slash parenting flick that was seminal to my MA thesis on on heterosociality. Which is probably where I’ve heard the song before, and probably, when it cropped back up again, why it sounded like something I ought to get to know. Certainly better than Madge’s rendition of American Pie.

Advertisements

13 comments on “What's this song?

1. Rob F says:

Dial 2580 on your mobile phone, point your phone at your speakers, play music.

50p later you’ll have the answer!

2. Will says:

A quick Google of the lyrics says that it’s Boom Boom Ba by Metisse.

3. […] Some of them are things I have written about, like Black Rod’s Garden Entrance, the “boom boom bah” music in Dead Like Me, and roasted tomato soup. Thank goodness someone explained what the regular daily hits for “niles crazy” were about. Some of them are projects I am definitely involved in like librivox and libdemblogs. (I get tens of hits from both every day, and there’s a fair bit of reciprocal linking from other people involved in both going on too.) […]

4. Mikeyg says:

Boom Boom Bah can be found on the soundtrack from the movie “The Next Best Thing.”

You’re welcome,

Mikeyg

5. Courtney says:

You can also buy the song online from Metisse’s website.

6. Lambert says:

Ah.. I’m so glad that I’m not the only person who noticed that song! I’ve had it stuck in my head for like a week; I wound up buying the 1st season on DVD a while back, so you can imagine that I’ve heard that snippet plenty lately.

Thank you for asking about it, thank you for finding someone who knew what it was (I couldn’t find it in any of the credits)!

7. Sara says:

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for somewhere I can get this for free? I can download… just wondering. Get back to me please. ! 🙂
    Ta

8. Eileen says:

You can get the song on itunes also.

9. Lene says:

It’s Metisse – Boom boom ba

easier than I thought…

10. zelial says:

thanks a lot.

i’ve been looking for that song’s name.

now i can finaly watch the end of the episode ^^

ty

11. helen says:

hello guys!!! The hope to find this song has nearly left me… but before I found this page!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! Finally I know who sang this song and will be able to download it from somewhere!!! What a relief hahaha!!! I adore Internet for that!!!
    I’m so excited that couldn’t help leaving a comment here hahaha
    THANK YOU!!!

12. tom says:

Pink Martini has a rendition of Boom Boom Ba and it is Pink Martini that is singing the song on Dead Like Me.

13. Becca says:

Actually it is the Metisse version of the song performed on Dead Like Me. Pink Martini play Sympathetique- another French song featured on the show.

Here is a link where you can download the song, I converted from a youtube video, so you’ll have to rename it, but it’s there!

[audio src="http://www.vidtomp3.com/mp3_details.php?video=vidtomp3.com-12427381381825.mp3" /]