Just felt a terrible earthquake shuddering through the house and setting the whole heating system in motion, with the hot water cylinder behind me shaking alarmingly.
Then nothing. All went quiet. No-one out in the street. A few car alarms going off. P waking up violently and asking what the hell it was.
Then phone goes off, and for a good twenty minutes, Twitter scooped the 24-hour news channels. It’s clear that it’s big – I expected to hear from Troubled Diva the other side of town, but to hear from Alan as well – in Manchester – means it’s pretty damn big. For a while, all the news from Twitter keeps us pretty informed, but before long, it’s on the telly and internet as well.
Here’s my twitter record – not including all the extra ones that come up because I’m tracking whenever anyone anywhere mentions “Nottingham” – and in reverse chronological order.
- alexfoster Sky news lady pulled a really funny face when caller mentioned animals, including “ducks in the house”
- miketd Sky News lady really couldn’t give two shits, could she?
- miketd 4.7 = “Light”, which is quite boring really: http://tinyurl.com/3al7ge
- alanfleming Community reporting in: http://tinyurl.com/2ee333
- alexfoster Laffing at Sky lady’s face as she tries to be empathetic
- miketd 4.7 on Richter scale: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
- alexfoster Map on internet says epicentre nr Cleethorpes, felt from York to Bristol + London. Never felt one like that!
- alexfoster Cats still majorly spooked
- miketd @alexfoster: Yeah, it was our heating system that did most of the shuddering as well. BBC News and Sky News still saying Midlands only?
- alanfleming Quake confirmed: 4.7: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/…
- alexfoster @miketd we thought our dodgy back wall was falling off. Whole heating system shuddered. Sky News finally reporting.
- miketd Shall I make everyone a nice cup of cocoa, before we all toddle back off to bed?
- miketd I thought it was the washing machine going onto spin!
- miketd @bob: Yeah, fine thanks. Twitter Public Timeline full of reports of the same thing.
- alanfleming no info yet but report say was felt in London, my guess is 4.7.
- miketd The “most read” story on the BBC news site is about an earthquake… in Kent… in April 2007. Half the country must be using Search!
- alexfoster Cripes – twitter suggests the earthquake we just had was felt in Manchester too!
- miketd K and I still both shaking. I felt it on the ground floor, he felt it two storeys up. FUCK. Never felt anything like that before.
- miketd WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WAS THAT? I think we’ve just experienced an earth tremor. Whole house shook, alarms going off outside.
- alanfleming fucking hell – that felt like an earthquake. not small either.
Hey, it’s 2 am here in Bristol, and your time shows 2:44 am: where are you? in UK or not?? I have felt an earthquake just after 1 am. It felt first as if a gust of wind blew and shook the house but then the shaking didn’t stop and I felt really really weird as have experienced a lot of earhtquakes during my childhood in Central Asia. I’ve looked up British Geological Survey web-site and one of their helicorder’s in Swindon registered splahes of activity around that time. However their web-site keeps crashing.
I felt it in Haverhill, cambridge woke my whole house up totaly freaked us all out and cant sleep now
Yes, in UK, but somehow, the website’s time is wrong.
Earthquake was here around two minutes before 1am.