Just felt a terrible earthquake shuddering through the house and setting the whole heating system in motion, with the hot water cylinder behind me shaking alarmingly.
Then nothing. All went quiet. No-one out in the street. A few car alarms going off. P waking up violently and asking what the hell it was.
Then phone goes off, and for a good twenty minutes, Twitter scooped the 24-hour news channels. It’s clear that it’s big – I expected to hear from Troubled Diva the other side of town, but to hear from Alan as well – in Manchester – means it’s pretty damn big. For a while, all the news from Twitter keeps us pretty informed, but before long, it’s on the telly and internet as well.
Here’s my twitter record – not including all the extra ones that come up because I’m tracking whenever anyone anywhere mentions “Nottingham” – and in reverse chronological order.
- alexfoster Sky news lady pulled a really funny face when caller mentioned animals, including “ducks in the house”
- miketd Sky News lady really couldn’t give two shits, could she?
- miketd 4.7 = “Light”, which is quite boring really: http://tinyurl.com/3al7ge
- alanfleming Community reporting in: http://tinyurl.com/2ee333
- alexfoster Laffing at Sky lady’s face as she tries to be empathetic
- miketd 4.7 on Richter scale: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
- alexfoster Map on internet says epicentre nr Cleethorpes, felt from York to Bristol + London. Never felt one like that!
- alexfoster Cats still majorly spooked
- miketd @alexfoster: Yeah, it was our heating system that did most of the shuddering as well. BBC News and Sky News still saying Midlands only?
- alanfleming Quake confirmed: 4.7: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/…
- alexfoster @miketd we thought our dodgy back wall was falling off. Whole heating system shuddered. Sky News finally reporting.
- miketd Shall I make everyone a nice cup of cocoa, before we all toddle back off to bed?
- miketd I thought it was the washing machine going onto spin!
- miketd @bob: Yeah, fine thanks. Twitter Public Timeline full of reports of the same thing.
- alanfleming no info yet but report say was felt in London, my guess is 4.7.
- miketd The “most read” story on the BBC news site is about an earthquake… in Kent… in April 2007. Half the country must be using Search!
- alexfoster Cripes – twitter suggests the earthquake we just had was felt in Manchester too!
- miketd K and I still both shaking. I felt it on the ground floor, he felt it two storeys up. FUCK. Never felt anything like that before.
- miketd WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WAS THAT? I think we’ve just experienced an earth tremor. Whole house shook, alarms going off outside.
- alanfleming fucking hell – that felt like an earthquake. not small either.